10. The Girl with the Captain Tattoo

There's something intoxicating about being locked in a secret with someone, especially when that someone is a ranking Los Angeles police officer who also happens to be your prickly new boss. I wouldn't be the first ditzy bottle blonde to bring down a power player in some sordid government scandal, but stirring the simmering pot between us were a covert smile, a flashy badge and a loaded gun. Looking back, if the station only had a decent air conditioning system, the whole sticky mess might never have come to a boil.

In the days after our wordless pact -- whose exact meaning was still unclear, even to me -- I sensed the captain's gun metal gray eyes boring into me out of nowhere. Across an overheating copier. Between two humming vending machines. In the reflection of the citizen's service window Georgia May and I manned, behind a peeling decal emblazoned with the words, "To Protect and To Serve."

"He's married, you know," George May informed me as the captain passed, leaving behind the faint scent of cigarettes and conspiracy. She gobbled another strip of crisped bacon hanging from some microwave contraption that looked like the scene of a mass crucifixion. Recently diagnosed with type two diabetes, she was somehow convinced she hadn't been getting enough pork fat. "Wife's an FBI agent," she added. "Mess with a lady like that and she'll cut you with her bare hands."

"How is that even possible?" I said, dismissing her with all the indifference I could fake.  "Do they have kids?" I couldn't help adding.

"They had one," she replied, raising an eyebrow. I looked at her blankly. "Don't you ever read the newspaper?"

"Do I look like a total idiot?" I shot back, without a hint of irony. Rita always picked up the Sunday Times on her way home from Starbutts; she'd sit up tweaking and clipping coupons, then bring back a whole load of groceries for the sum total of two dollars and seventy-four cents. "Why pay more? she'd say brightly, waking me up for a bowl of deeply discounted Lucky Charms. Of course I hadn't seen Rita in awhile, which was usually a good thing. She'd come back with some wild story about a reasonably well-built bald guy with very high level studio connections, such as washing Town Cars on the Paramount lot -- who blew his entire paycheck on an eight ball and took her shopping in Vegas.

"Is the captain's kid's named 'Jeremy?'" I asked Georgia May. "He has this yo-yo on his desk, I wondered whose it was." There was also that empty picture frame and some kind of a ring, possibly inscribed with the words "Eternal Bond" -- though I didn't dare ask for confirmation.

"What you doing all up in the captain's desk?" Georgia May hissed.

"Just curious," I lied. "No big deal."

"You know what's good for you around here, you keep your nose clean, your eyes lowered and your mouth shut." She reminded me of all the big deal papers I'd signed in order to gain access to the Justice Department records system I worked on alone every night. Nothing on there had interested me much anyway, except maybe the arrest of the beloved former child actress best known for that alien movie caught taking a pee on the sidewalk outside The Gap. No charges filed. Officer error. Imagine that.

"Well, I guess I'm off, then," I told Georgia May, not about to share my silly fantasies about sucking that ring right off the captain's finger while knocking boots on the cookie table in the coffee room. He'd kick the door shut, wild-eyed with rage over the senseless murder of his wife and baffling disappearance of his son. "Forget them," I'd whisper breathlessly as he drove himself into me over a bed of crushed Oreos in a pool of non-dairy creamer. With every forceful thrust he branded my skin with the imprint of the red hot badge affixed to his lashing belt.

"Settle down, sex fiends!" Georgia May bellowed at the middle-aged, married men awaiting processing after being netted in a Vice sting for waving their weenies around in the Merry-Go-Round bathrooms at Griffith Park. That was all it took to snap me out of it and focus on something important. I was always on the look out in that crowd for a big producer to show my head shot and resume, figuring there's no more captive an audience in all of Hollywood than a fresh caught sex offender. Cutting me off at the knees, Georgia May told me to head on home for the day, flagging me off with a crispy bacon strip. "Don't you be flapping your gums to the press out there," she warned me. "Damn bloodsuckers are dying for some new dirt on Dr. Demented."

It really sucks when Nancy Grace starts barking a catchy new moniker for the handsome surgeon a co-worker recently caught dismembering your roommate. Even with Rita's as yet unidentified body parts lying strewn about various coroner's labs, I'd already washed my hands of the whole stinking case. No way in hell was I getting in any deeper, not even when Rita disappeared for so long I couldn't keep stalling her landlord on the rent. Nor even when my car wouldn't start after work one night, and someone knocked on a window I rolled down just a crack.

"Pardon me, do you work in Police Records?" a friendly voice asked from behind a camera lens, snapping my picture without bothering to ask permission. As a down-on-her-luck bikini model who'd come within inches of being named the new face of Maui Sunless Tanning Systems, I take that kind of thing as a very serious offense indeed. "How'd you like to make a few extra bucks?"